Friday, October 19, 2007

Chandru or Me....

“Sujan, Chandru needs to go!” I pleaded. But my husband disagreed and would not budge from his decision. He stood there in defiance. “No, Sudha, Chandru has been with me for 5 years now, and you know it that we are inseparable.” “But Sujan, Chandru’s presence is not going to help you in anyways….he makes you look bad dear, and look at him…he himself looks scruffy and old as against you..! And could you please tell me what good he has ever been to you?” I was silently praying and hoping that my words would awaken my husband’s conscience and his eyes be finally opened to the truth about Chandru.

I could see Sujan pondering my last question before coming up with an answer. “Well, for one he brings me good luck and a sense of security. And I would feel quite naked without him, godammit.!” he argued stubbornly. “I tell you, woman, Chandru isn’t leaving, and so you might just as well get used to him! He is as much a part of me as you are and that’s to be the end of it!”

Oh, he’d done it now! My eyes flickered with rage and I bit my lip as I braced my tiny feminine frame for another round of arguments. “Well, Sujan, if you insist that he remain in our lives then so be it, but as long as he does, I insist that you keep your distance from me!” I smiled now in complete bliss, believing that I had just won not only the round but the entire battle of wits with my hard-headed husband.

I could feel Sujan stiffen, as if he’d been slapped hard across the face. His volatile temper had begun to gear up towards utter explosion and as a result, words failed him now when he needed them the most. His tall and lanky frame began to tremble and his fists closed in tight balls at his sides. His tiny but equally stubborn wife stood her ground and dared him to erupt in her presence. “Stop it, woman! I think that my preference to Chandru would matter most, since I am the closest to him! He has never angered you before, why should he presently?” “I’ve nothing more to say on the subject, Sujan, you know my heart. The decision is yours to make. I’ll not say anything further.” I now turned to leave the large drawing- room, leaving my husband standing alone with his thoughts.

Sujan stood in the middle of the room staring ahead blankly. He knew it was over. He would have to say goodbye to Chandru. I had to come first, I was his wife, after-all. He and Chandru had been very close for five years and they’d shared many wonderful moments but it was to end now. Sujan sighed deeply and straightened himself before taking the first step out of the drawing- room. He held his head high, as he strode up the ornately carved oak staircase, dreading each step he took towards the room where the final confrontation would take place. He walked slowly down the short hallway and turned in at the first door on his left.
There was no turning back now. He would have to cut Chandru out of his life forever. He saw the straight razor on the dressing table in front of him and lowered his eyes to avoid looking at it for a few more seconds. It would be the instrument to which Chandru fall. His hands began to tremble now as he returned his gaze to the straight razor that had been left so neatly for the barbaric task to be performed. He couldn’t believe this was happening and wished with all of his being that he didn’t have to commit this horrible deed but I had resolved myself to Chandru’s end and I wouldn’t stop until Sujan had done away with him once and for all. Enough was enough. He slowly reached down and lifted the shiny instrument with his left hand and raised it to eye level so that he could look it over completely before continuing on… His heart was racing inside his chest and his breathing became heavy.

“Steady old boy, you shall be alright once the crime has been completed.” He went straight to work now to get everything ready for Chandru’s demise. It was time. Sujan now stood facing Chandru. It would be a slow and painful end for them both. With all of his courage, Sujan raised his left hand to strike and began cutting away at Chandru the deed was done. Sujan now wiped his face with a hand towel and looked at himself in the mirror.

“Well, I certainly look younger without Chandru but I shall miss having my beard!”

2 comments:

ElmerFuddnavis said...

hahahaha awsumm!!

Sudha said...

gee..thnx...this is let-out after the frustration sujan has worked me into...!!